Construction is a complex field, requiring the coordination and collaboration of many players to bring a project to fruition. Documents and information are at the heart of this collaboration, and managing them effectively can make all the difference. That's why electronic document management (EDM) has become an essential solution for all those involved in the construction industry.
What is an EDM?
The acronym GED stands for Gestion Électronique de Document (Electronic Document Management), and refers to online document management software. In simple terms, an EDM's mission is to store, manage and share all the documents of the protagonists involved in your projects (project owner, project manager, BET, architects, subcontractors, etc.). Essentially, an EDM is an organized, secure online storage facility for files and data tailored to your projects.
Electronic document management (EDM) is a crucial tool in every company, enabling rigorous organization of documentation. This remarkable storage space surpasses conventional document filing and archiving software, with which we are all familiar. In other words, the EDM is a tool specifically adapted to managing the flow of files and data exchanged during projects. As for other storage spaces, they have not been created for the purpose of storing files and data related to the sector.
Why is a collaborative EDM necessary for the construction industry?
An EDM platform is a key tool for collaborative working, guaranteeing perfect control of information on construction operations. Electronic document management is also known in the construction world as "Boite à Plan". Already in use by many players in the construction industry, this tool has proven to optimize workflows and bring undeniable benefits in terms of quality, productivity and deadlines.
In fact, using an EDM saves you a lot of time. Documents shared on the EDM are available immediately, easily and in the right version, without any possible confusion, and above all to authorized persons, thanks to fine-tuned management of access rights.
What's more, by using an on-premise EDM, you and your staff can also be more flexible in managing documents, modifying or sharing them quickly and easily from any location in complete security. With Axeobim's EDM solution, we offer you a complete and efficient secure construction EDM for business documentation. It gives you an extra level of control and security, minimizing the risk of data leakage.
The advantages and benefits of an EDM for your construction and renovation projects.
The main purpose of implementing an EDM within a project is to :
- Improved communication: You can easily share, consult, annotate and retrieve documents for real-time collaborative exchanges. You and your stakeholders will benefit from faster, smoother exchanges.
- Reduce errors and delays : By centralizing files and automating workflows, you minimize errors and delays in the process.
- Better traceability: You can track the progress of projects and easily access the information you need at any time. The EDM platform keeps track of documents, so you can better manage different versions of a document.
- Secure storage: Sensitive and confidential information is stored securely. Sharing it internally or on a secure server minimizes the risk of data leakage.
- Compliance with standards and regulations: You can be sure of complying with current standards and regulations.
Did you know? Switching to digital technology can significantly reduce processing costs. According to one study, companies save between 20% and 50% on paper, printer costs and physical storage space. For the sake of the environment, but also for the sake of making small savings, we advise you to reach your goal of zero paper.
How can I use a GED for my construction project?
To get the most out of your DMS, there are a number of prerequisites that need to be met:
- A dedicated computer system.
To use an EDM you'll need a high-performance, reliable IT system to store, manage and share information.
- A BIM compatible EDM solution.
This may seem logical, but it's important to remember that there are many EDM solutions on the market. However, it's important to choose an EDM solution created by BIM software developers. Only the latter will support BIM files such as 3D model files, technical specifications, etc.
- Train your staff.
You need to establish clear rules for document exchange. This means standardizing both internal documents and those exchanged with external third parties. Finally, define a reliable workflow sequence.
- A data management strategy must be put in place.
It's important to have a strategy in place to manage data efficiently and securely. These include measures to preserve the integrity and authenticity of information.
How does electronic document management (EDM) work?
An easy-to-use EDM and an EDM that you and your colleagues have been well trained in, and for which the list of prerequisites has been followed. Now all you need to do is :
- Integrate data into DMS.
- Use metadata (date, categories, etc.) to classify and categorize documents related to a construction project.
- Share information by authorizing read-only or edit-only access according to your needs.
- Easily search for information related to a construction project using keywords, dates, authors, etc.
- Keep track of the history of changes made to a document, which can be useful for future audits.