Published on May 17, 2023
Construction is a complex field that requires the coordination and collaboration of many actors to complete a project.
As a building professional, you are certainly facing important challenges for the digitization of your projects and the implementation of the BIM process (Building Information Modeling)
The expertise provided by BIM specialists such as project managers or BIM managers is highly recommended. You also need to equip yourself with digital tools to manage, store and share efficiently all documents and 3D models related to your project. This is called Electronic Document Management (EDM).
The EDM is often known in the construction world under the banner of "Plan Box". Already used by many actors of the construction industry, it allows to optimize workflows and brings undeniable benefits in terms of quality, productivity and deadlines.
Let's take a look at how a collaborative DMS platform can help you manage your construction projects in a more efficient and sustainable way.
It is not always easy to find your way through this multitude of acronyms and technical terms (BIM software, CDE, EDM collaborative platform, ISO 19650...)
We have, as such, a glossary at your disposal to help you see things more clearly.
However, to get a project off to a good start with the BIM process, you first need a solid EDM adapted to the construction sector (BIM convention, validation circuit, ISO 19650 standard... ).
An EDM (Electronic Document Management) is an online management software (Saas ) that allows to store, manage and collaborate onall documents created by actors of a construction or renovation project.
Store all of your documents in a secure manner
The EDM is above all an online platform (or Saas) with a secure storage of all the files needed for a construction project. EDM platforms like AxeoBIM are equipped with large, fast and secure storage capacities for maximum time saving and security.
In addition, a DMS specialized in construction can read all major file formats and 3D models, whether 'OpenBIM' as the IFC format (carried by the association Buildingsmart France or native formats of modeling tools and collision management as Revit, Navisworks, DWG, ...
Manage your project team efficiently
The EDM platform must allow a very fine control of access rights to ensure that all members of the project team have access to the right information and only to the information they need.
An effective EDM must also have features that will help the project manager in the digital management of documents.
- History (versioning) of both the documents and their attached metadata
- A document search tool
- A dashboard (management of tasks, follow-up of documents and their completion...)
- Provisional lists of expected documents
- A customizable notification system
An EDM software is a key tool within the framework of a collaborative work in order to guarantee a perfect control of the information on the construction operations. During all phases of construction, the project manager and the owner must have the best possible visibility and traceability of exchanges with all the actors of the project (design office, project management, control office, subcontractors...).
One of the key functions of the DMS is the document validation circuit. This is essential, as it allows you to set up an efficient validation process(VISA) and ensure that the right people can be notified and approve the documents at the right time.
The GED platform, once adopted by all the actors of your project, brings you significant benefits:
1. Improved collaboration: you will be able to easily share documents and information, which allows for better collaboration between the different stakeholders on a project.
2. Reduce errors and delays : by centralizing information and automating workflows, you can minimize errors and delays in the construction process.
3. Better traceability: you will be able to track the progress of projects and easily access the necessary information at any time, which contributes to better transparency and planning. With EDM, users no longer waste time sending emails, trying to find their documents or checking that they have the right version.
4. Secure and sovereign storage: sensitive and confidential information is stored securely, minimizing the risk of data leakage. Data redundancy (Tier III) allows for data recovery in the event of a physical server failure. Ideally, data should be hosted in the customer's country to ensure sovereignty.
5. Compliance with standards and regulations: you can be sure to comply with the standards and regulations in force by using an efficient EDM. The BIM process, even if it is not systematically imposed, will become unavoidable. Using a DMS that respects the specifications of the BIM agreement is a guarantee of quality. As for the ISO 19650 standard, it is starting to make its way, because it is based on a document status system that will allow to better identify documents according to their progress. AxeoBIM is already a pioneer on the subject with a DMS compatible with the ISO 19650 standard.
A dedicated computer system.
To use an EDM, you will need a powerful and reliable computer system to store, manage and share information related to your construction project.
At AxeoBIM, we have a large choice of hosting facilities in France and Switzerland that guarantee a high level of security (ISO 27001, Tier III).
A BIM compatible EDM solution.
There are many EDM solutions on the market. However, it is important to choose an EDM solution that also offers BIM solutions. The EDM in construction is intimately linked to the management of documents, but also data around 3D models. It is therefore important that a DMS can be compatible with BIM features (2D plan viewer and 3D models, management of annotations and observations, management of model data ...).
Training of the project team.
This is certainly one of the biggest challenges for the project manager. It is also the main barrier to the adoption of new digital tools or new work processes.
It is therefore essential to establish clear rules for document exchange, to standardize documents internally, but also those exchanged with an external third party and to define a reliable workflow. An AMO (Assistant to the Owner) or a BIM manager plays an important role in the adoption of BIM processes and collaboration platforms GED and other BIM tools.
It is also important not to neglect training on a DMS platform as well as dedicated support to ensure proper adoption and use of the DMS platform's features.
A data management strategy
It is important to have a strategy in place to manage data efficiently and securely, including measures to preserve the integrity and authenticity of information.
Are you ready to start using an EDM platform? Ask us for a demonstration.
Contact us for more information
Contact the AxeoBIM team by filling out the form below.
Our teams will answer you as soon as possible.
Stay informed by subscribing to our newsletter